ProActive DBA Warehouse
The ProActive DBA Warehouse (or PDW) is a suite of software components that provide long-term warehousing, data mining, reporting and auditing of database server activity.
Major benefits include:
- Baselines and trends performance metrics (CPU, Disk I/O, Network I/O, SQL executions, etc.)
- Tracks and reports database server usage by user, application, client host name, SQL text, table/column, date/time and other criteria
- Warehouse performance data, process snapshot activity for long-term reporting
- Includes web-based and GUI-based reporting tools
- Data mining tools let you interactively drill down to find events of interest
- Audit access to sensitive data, schema changes, DBA commands, etc.
- SQL performance reports let you trend and compare executions of a SQL statement over time
The ProActive DBA Warehouse supports SAP Sybase ASE, SAP Sybase IQ, SAP Sybase Replication Server and Microsoft SQL Server.
There are several Warehouse options that tie into ProActive DBA monitoring products. Each of these options provides different benefits, and each option extends ProActive DBA’s monitoring by parsing, loading and aggregating the data gathered by monitoring your servers, and warehousing it for long-term storage and reporting.
Each Warehouse option includes the following common tools:
- The Warehouse/Archive Queue Manager window, for managing processing of files into the ProActive DBA Warehouse
- The Warehouse Reports window, for interactively producing web-like reports and exporting them to HTML
- The Warehouse Data Miner window, for producing ad-hoc Warehouse queries and exporting the generated SQL and/or results to external tools for further processing
SQL Capture Warehouse Option
The SQL Capture Warehouse Option extends SQL Capture by analyzing and aggregating SQL statements executed on your database servers, and stores summary and detail data into the ProActive DBA Warehouse. This enables you to answer questions such as:
- What tables were referenced by a user using a specific application last Friday between 2:00pm and 3:00pm, and what was the SQL used to do it?
- Which stored procedures reference a specified table/column?
- How does a SQL statement’s performance this week compare to last week?
- What are the top 25 applications that executed the most SQL on a Saturday or Sunday during the last 3 months?
TimeLine Warehouse Option
The TimeLine Warehouse Option extends the TimeLine performance monitor to allow storing and aggregating performance metric data gathered by TimeLine’s monitoring of your database servers. This provides features such as the following:
- Track performance metrics such as CPU usage, disk I/O levels, cache hit ratios, etc. over weeks, months or years
- Compare one time period versus another for trending and capacity planning
Database Auditor Warehouse Option
The Database Auditor Warehouse Option extends Database Auditor to provide analysis of DBA commands, DDL commands and security-related commands.
This enables you to answer questions such as the following:
- Which users executed any SQL ‘create’ or ‘drop’ commands in databases other than ‘tempdb’ this month?
- From which client network addresses were any password-change commands executed between 1:00am and 3:00am?
The ProActive DBA Warehouse utilizes a SAP Sybase ASE, SAP Sybase IQ or Microsoft SQL Server database to house its data. The ProActive DBA Warehouse Loader normalizes and aggregates captured data from your servers, and stores it into the Warehouse database in an optimized ‘star’ schema, so that you can query the data in a variety of different ways.
You can optionally configure a Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services server to provide interactive web-based reporting and automated scheduled delivery of e-mail reports through the ProActive DBA Warehouse.
The ProActive DBA Warehouse supports SAP Sybase ASE 11.0 through 16.0, SAP Sybase IQ 12.6 through 16.0, SAP Sybase Replication Server 12.5 through 15.7.1 and Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 through 2014.